- Kitchen & Dining
- Walls & Floors
- Doors & Windows
Thankyou for registering on ZingyHomes.We have sent you a verification email. Please click on the link mentioned in the email to activate your account and start using the site!
As a member, you get exclusive offers, discounts, sneak previews, space planner and members only rewards and privileges.
You already have an account? Great! Sign In
Remind me later
Sign In to ZingyHomes
Facts About the Architect of Taj MahalBy Niveditha Ravikumar
Archi Facts Tweet 0 Comment(s)
Ustad Ahamed Lahori was a Persian born Architect, who is believed to have been the principal architect of Taj Mahal – The Jewel of Muslim art in India.
1. Ustad Ahamed Lahori, born around 1570-75 in Badakhshan in modern day Afghanistan, not only designed the Taj Mahal, but also the city of Shahjahanabad, today's Old Delhi.
2. He was a favourite architect of Shah Jahan and was awarded the title 'Nadir-al'Asr' by Shah Jahan which means 'Wonder of the age'.
3. He was survived by three sons- Ataullah, Lutfullah and Nurullah, all of whom turned out to be architects and mathematicians.
4. While Ustad Ahamed Lahori designed the tomb of Shah Jahan's wife Mumtaz, his eldest son Ataullah designed the tomb of Aurangazeb's wife Rabia Durrani.
( Tomb of Mumtaz - Taj Mahal
Tomb of Rabia - Bibi Ka Maqbara)
5. Also, Ustad's second son Lutfullah designed the palace of Dara Shikoh, son of Shah Jahan.
6. Ustad Ahamed Lahori had no office, but designed the Taj Mahal just sitting next to Old Kotwali near the Wazir Khan mosque inside Delhi gate.
7. Coincidentally, 'USTAD' Ahamed was supported by 'USTAD' Isa, a Turk and a master draftsman in completing the drawings of Taj Mahal
8. According to myths, the Architect of Taj Mahal was blinded and had his hands cut off to avoid a Taj Mahal rival. But in 1649, Ustad Ahamed died a much respected man in a normal way after he finalized the design work of 'the Juma Masjid of Delhi'
9. In 1930, only after 281 years of his death was he discovered to be the Architect of Taj Mahal.
Got some tips, design ideas? Share them with the community.
Leave a comment here or submit your own article.
Popular in this Category
Ustad Ahamed Lahori was a Persian born Architect, who is believed to have been the principal architect of Taj Mahal ...
The 1919 born Geoffrey Manning Bawa, often referred as Bawa, could simply be considered equivalent to Sri Lankan Architecture. A ...
Ludwig Van Der Rohe is a man who is known better by his aphorisms 'Less is more' and 'God is ...
Luxury Design Products
Luxury Furniture Furnishings
Wall Coverings, Interior Surfaces Ceramic & Tiles, Flooring
The holiday season, Diwali, Christmas and the New Year always urge us to clean out and clean up. ...
Women in Architecture Organised by SPA, New Delhi at IIC, June 6, 2015 While India has been o...
Task: Create temporary mixed use structures (Public space installations) with non-expensive and l...
Rapid Fire with Design Professionals
Shilpi Attrey is a senior Architect at Al Reyami Interiors – a design studio based in Abu D...
Living Room Design & Decor
Living room is an important area where we receive our guests. It is well said that the first impr...
- Anu's home reflects her contemporary taste
- A Home that evokes poetry
- Mr. Sharma's Home embraces the Zen style approach
Copyright ZingyHomes - 2013 - . All rights reserved.
- Kitchen & Dining