- Kitchen & Dining
- Walls & Floors
- Doors & Windows
Thankyou for registering on ZingyHomes.We have sent you a verification email. Please click on the link mentioned in the email to activate your account and start using the site!
As a member, you get exclusive offers, discounts, sneak previews, space planner and members only rewards and privileges.
You already have an account? Great! Sign In
Remind me later
Sign In to ZingyHomes
Design for the differently abledBy Nikita Lall
Decor Tips Tweet 2 Comment(s) Tags : disabled friendly home
The lives of differently able people have never been any better since the day darkness crawled into their soul. There might be no cure for their sufferings, yet efforts can be undertaken to suppress that suffering with a mission to make their lives better. Though, a complete alleviation is impossible, yet we can make things flexible and adaptable for them.
Apart from all care and concern we show them, we must envisage on making their world lot better than before. This can be done by devising a friendly home design layout keeping in mind the needs of the differently able.
Here are few decor ideas that would encourage these helpless individuals to live free and safe without any worries or liability.
- Minimalist home: No matter what disability aspect an individual is suffering from, always make sure that your home design follows minimalist approach. Throw away the clutter and make the decor subtle; Get rid of ludicrous stuff if they take a lot of space. Also,there should be ample space such that walking around the house is easy.
- Right Positioning of things: This point requires a keen deliberation if a family member is suffering from visual impairment. Call a design professional and get things customized.
- Go for wider bathrooms (minimum of 36 inches) and the space must be free from obstructions.
- Install toilet seats of length not more than 19 inches.
- Have light switchboards at not more than 54 inches height.
- Used levered doors with door handles at about 48 inches height from the ground.
- Padded floors: To make way for free and safe movement around the house, go for padded floors- the ones paved withTake a break and have a look at these awesome products:or rubber through their length and breadth. This would make them safe and hurt proof. Also, if you have doormats, ensure that their edges are securely fastened to the floor.
- Wider doorways: If there is a member with a wheelchair or visual impairment, go in for wider doorways( 32 inches recommended). The space must be wide enough to easily allow a wheelchair in and out.
- Ease of accessibility: Your home backdrop must be inlaid in such a way that everything is easily accessible by the disability prone individuals. Counter-tops, kitchen tables, wardrobes and must be placed such that they are easily accessible and adjustable.Go for levered door, window handles and faucets such that they do not require any extra aid.
- Automated home design: If your budget supports you, you can tweak the things totally to their requirement. Go automatic. Market is flooded with automatic doors and windows switches, auto lights and automated operating system for a number of appliances.
- Emergency exits : Always make sure that there are two or more exits in the house. There might be a
With such a resilient home design, the disabled would feel at ease, without any obligation. Furthermore, they would soon realize that somewhere, out there, there is a bright ray of hope waiting to replenish their lives with sparkling colors.
Tags : disabled friendly home
Got some tips, design ideas? Share them with the community.
Leave a comment here or submit your own article.
Popular in this Category
When you are planning the layout of your kitchen you want to be very careful in the selection and position ...
While living in a 5 bedroom 4 bathroom and gigantic kitchen palace (that size has got to be more than ...
Wooden Floors are a frequent daydream of most home enthusiasts! The rich colors, the warmth under your foot and the ...
Luxury Design Products
Decor Accessories Furnishings
Furnishings Decor Accessories
Sanitaryware Paints & Varnishes
Low Cost Decor Ideas
Being a bachelor is like "being married to freedom". If you are a cool ...
Want to feel the right aura in the right room: A soothing and relaxing feeling in your bedroom, a...
Ludwig Van Der Rohe is a man who is known better by his aphorisms 'Less is more' and '...
Art has been humans' primary language of communication even before letters and wor...
Interior Design Ideas & Tips
Entertainment is a must for every human being on earth. And in India, entertainment more or less ...
- Anu's home reflects her contemporary taste
- A Home that evokes poetry
- What Ails BIM Implementation in India?
Copyright ZingyHomes - 2013 - . All rights reserved.
- Kitchen & Dining