- Kitchen & Dining
- Walls & Floors
- Doors & Windows
Thankyou for registering on ZingyHomes.We have sent you a verification email. Please click on the link mentioned in the email to activate your account and start using the site!
As a member, you get exclusive offers, discounts, sneak previews, space planner and members only rewards and privileges.
You already have an account? Great! Sign In
Remind me later
Sign In to ZingyHomes
Transformation 2020: India holds a bright blueprint in the global contextBy Niveditha Ravikumar
Events Diary Tweet 0 Comment(s)
~ A&D Summit discusses broad vision for India and initiatives by the Government ~
- The need of the hour is to localise global services to our culture and needs
- There’s so much technology that goes into what you can do underground, these can let you map and plan better
- Urbanisation is happening, but people are not becoming urbane. It’s a rural mindset that is coming into an urban area
Bengaluru, 16 September 2015: The 3rd edition of Architecture & Design Summit, organized by ET Edge, an initiative of The Economic Times, saw industry leaders, government officials and international architects coming together to discuss India’s prospects in the realm of architecture. This year, the summits were organized in five cities and the final destination- Bangalore, a confluence of design cultures from Victorian gardens to Mughal churches became a platform for industry experts to address concerns, discuss solutions and leverage trends to create the blueprint for a futuristic India.
The two-day summit deeply focussed on a broad vision for India in the global context, along with tools to generate ideas and enhance the sector further. Speaking at the event, Mr. D. Satyamurty, Additional Chief Secretary to Govt., Urban Development Department, Govt. of Karnataka said “I consider A&D to be a much more integrated and holistic concept. However, we don’t have an integrated approach of using urban planners. So, we have to give urban planners the lead. We have to look at the A&D and the government has to look at how to bring about this transformation. When you talk of A&D and urban planning, the responsibility is much more so the state must look at integrated and holistic ways to facilitate this change.”
Not only did the summit address the country's current urban scenario, but also addressed and celebrated women in architecture and also aiding students for extraordinary work in the fields of architecture and design. Student award winners got exclusive internship with renowned architects present during the Summit.
It extensively discussed the trends in architectural design, challenges and opportunities in the field along with realising the vision 2020 and its relevance to the Indian context.
The first day was scheduled for five speeches and one panel discussion:
- The summit set off with Mr. Deepak Lamba, President, TCL – BCCL, when he mentioned how The Economic Times always has cared for the country, and its growth and development. Mr. Abhishek Somany, the Managing Director of Somany Ceramics delivered the keynote address which reminded us about the government's Smarty city mission and Housing for All concept.
- An eye-opening talk was of Ar. PK Das of Mumbai, who initiated the discussion part of the event by showcasing a point-wise detailed analysis of the urban transformation and its related issues- 'Influencing urban transformation and altering the context by design' with examples.
- Another perspective about 'change' and 'transformation' was brought to light through Ar. Dikshu Kukreja through this presentation on 'Urban Transformation- The spontaneous or the predicted?' which also explained the different layers of a city which cause tranformation.
- The first panel discussion of the event comprised of four young architects of different genres with Ar. Naresh Narasimhan as the moderator. They deliberated on 'Perspective vision: What will the future hold?' He said, “The ability of the common people to generate their own cities is often discounted, replaced by top down approaches. There is a huge mismatch between what the masterplan envisioned for the city and what was actually made.
- The first day's last talk 'Leverage, Build & Brand- Understanding the importance of creating a brand' was of Mr. Harish Bijoor, a Business strategy expert. He quoted numerous examples and real life situations to help the audience understand the importance of brand building in the architecture and planning industry. He further explained how perception and reality are related to brand building.
The second day saw young architects and designers thronging the hall to listen to keynote addresses, special addresses, case studies and panel discussions, all of which in depth, revolved around the topic- Transformation 2020. The summit also delved into realizing the Vision 2020 and its relevance to the Indian framework.
- The first keynote address by Ar. Naresh Narasimhan of Venkatraman Associates on 'Transformation 2020- The Global Perspective' where he commented on the huge difference between what is planned and executed in the field of urban governance.
- In the second keynote address, elaborating on the same, Mr. Boman Irani, CMD, Rustomjee Group said, “There is a massive opportunity. The government has started listening to government bodies. I feel we are possibly in the best time in Indian history. It is our responsibility to be able to provide for the requirements for those that do not have. That is where the future of our economic growth lies.”
- The Panel Discussion comprised of five experienced senior architects and thought leaders, Mr. Abhishek Somany, Mr. Boman Irani with Mr. M.V. Harish of JLL as the moderator. This discussion had extreme contradictory views, in which Ar. Manit Rastogi of Morphogenesis pointed out with statistics the country's high potential to achieve the Smart city mission by 2020.
- A special presentation by the German Architect, J Mayer continuously kept us interested, as he enlightened us with his 'design patterns' and how patterns play an important role in the designing of buildings. The largest wooden structure at Seville, designed by him, caught all our attention.
- Another spectacular presentation on 'Urban Scale' was by Bertil De Kleynen, Director of Architecture & Landscape, Atkins Asia Pacific. TOD: Transit Oriented Development was deeply explained with examples and illustrations.
- The summit not only saw Architects and planners, but also Industrial designers like Mr. Michael Foley and Lighting design expert Dr. Amardeep M. Dugar who presented case studies in their own fields.
- Other extra-ordinary case study presentations were by Ar. Reza Kabul, Ar. Nejeeb Khan, Ar. Rahul Khadri, Ar. Kapil Bhalla.
Concluding this successful event, Mr. Deepak Lamba, President, TCL - BCCL said, “The wave of slick, contemporary architecture sweeping across the country, even beyond offices, symbolizes our burgeoning economy in the most visible manner. India is quickly presenting itself as a 21st century global power, and these edifices are cropping up everywhere in South India as a sign of prosperity and forward thinking. We strongly believe that if India has to join the league of developed nations, one essential aspect will be planning and creation of global cities. Architects, designers and builders will play a crucial role in this progression.”
The summit ended with immense networking, Cocktail and Gala dinner.
Got some tips, design ideas? Share them with the community.
Leave a comment here or submit your own article.
ZingBoards you may like
Popular in this Category
This republic day saw significant turnout and bonhomie because of US President Obama attending the parade as a Chief guest. ...
Design, art, architecture and technology reunited forces on the day the most eagerly awaited verdict on architecture and design was ...
The Economic Times announces the 3rd edition of country’s biggest Architecture and Design Summit "The only way you survive ...
Luxury Design Products
Automation Systems Curtains & Blinds
Construction Chemicals Sanitaryware
The Story of My Home
Yet another day and another new home- a small yet beautiful home painted luxuriously with the col...
RC Creations' idea to build something new and out-of-the-box inspires all the neophyte builde...
DIY Interior Design & Decor
As a property owner there comes a time when you have to deal with property damage from the elemen...
Its time for Sun to call it a day. The lights are going to take over the duty of dispelling...
Living Room Design & Decor
Color Scheme Image Source: www.digitalsynopsis.com Why yellow? Yellow Color Scheme Idea I...
- Anu's home reflects her contemporary taste
- A Home that evokes poetry
- Mr. Sharma's Home embraces the Zen style approach
Copyright ZingyHomes - 2013 - . All rights reserved.
- Kitchen & Dining