- Kitchen & Dining
- Walls & Floors
- Doors & Windows
Thankyou for registering on ZingyHomes.We have sent you a verification email. Please click on the link mentioned in the email to activate your account and start using the site!
As a member, you get exclusive offers, discounts, sneak previews, space planner and members only rewards and privileges.
You already have an account? Great! Sign In
Remind me later
Sign In to ZingyHomes
Vastu for Kitchen - Dos and Don'tsBy Ranjna Sharma
Vastu Tips Tweet 4 Comment(s)
Indian homes are increasingly getting Vastu savvy as more and more people begin to understand and accept this science of building and energy. In every Indian home the kitchen is one of the most sacrosanct areas. It is considered the belly of the house and is placed accordingly. It requires special attention because the food for the entire family is prepared in the kitchen. Vastu lays down rules for the design of the kitchen and ascribes a place for everything. It also prescribes certain rules for the person who cooks the meals as it contributes to both the health and happiness of the family.
Vastu Shastra describes Venus as the ruling planet of the kitchen with Fire as its ruling element. Following are a few tips that should be used while creating a Vastu Shastra compliant kitchen:
- An ideal kitchen should be placed in the Southeastern part of the house. As per Hindu shastras Southeast corner is the place of Hindu God Agni. East is considered to be the best direction and the Southeast corner of a house is perfect for the kitchen.
- Another direction which is suitable for the cooking area is the Northwest. But if the land plot is diagonal then it is not recommended.
- Northeast corner of a house should never be used for the kitchen as it is most suitable for living room or a pooja room because the morning light falls in this direction first of all.
- In a kitchen the windows should face the East while the doors should be in North of Northeast direction.
- The kitchen is not to be placed under or above the pooja room, bedroom or toilet.
- The cooking gas or stove should be placed a few inches away from the wall in the Southeast corner.
- The main slab should be constructed in an L shape and the South wall should be used for using electrical appliances like the mixer, grinder, microwave oven and the electric cattle etc.
- The dish sink should be placed as far as possible in the Northeast along with the drinking water container or appliance.
- The storage area for grains, spices and pulses etc. should be in the South or West.
- The cooking appliances should be placed in such a manner that the person cooking the meal faces East.
- If there is a dining table in the kitchen then it should be put in the Northwest or west.
- The refrigerator should be put in the Southeast, South or North direction. It is not to be put in the Northeast and if it is placed in the Southwest direction then it should be at least a foot away from the corner or it may require frequent repairs.
- The kitchen should be cleaned and the utensils washed before sleeping each night.
- The first thing that you cook in the kitchen should be offered to the fire as it ensures the peace and prosperity of the house.
Some of these rules may not make much sense to you but remember that these are backed up by a science that dates back to our oldest history and following them can help you create health and happiness in your kitchen.
Got some tips, design ideas? Share them with the community.
Leave a comment here or submit your own article.
Design Ideas you may like
Popular in this Category
The entrance of your home is the entry to your 'kingdom'. This gate should be maintained with utmost care. The ...
Indian homes are increasingly getting Vastu savvy as more and more people begin to understand and accept this science of ...
Who doesn’t want a Vastu compliant home? But the cold fact is that though Vastu has been making huge waves ...
Luxury Design Products
Decor Accessories Furnishings
Decor Accessories Lighting
Bought that ultra-swanky apartment that you love? Debating which appliances to invest in and whic...
Interiors- Doors and Windows
When we’re talking house and home, the first thing that should come to our minds, are doors...
Rapid Fire with Design Professionals
G. Karteek is an Architect and Urban Designer, graduated from the School of Planning and Architec...
Hotel Architecture & Interiors
Hotels are lining up the city and its peripherals. And without something magnificent and extraord...
‘Home’ is just another name for ‘refuge’ (except that you are a lot happi...
- Anu's home reflects her contemporary taste
- A Home that evokes poetry
- Mr. Sharma's Home embraces the Zen style approach
Copyright ZingyHomes - 2013 - . All rights reserved.
- Kitchen & Dining