- Kitchen & Dining
- Walls & Floors
- Doors & Windows
Thankyou for registering on ZingyHomes.We have sent you a verification email. Please click on the link mentioned in the email to activate your account and start using the site!
As a member, you get exclusive offers, discounts, sneak previews, space planner and members only rewards and privileges.
You already have an account? Great! Sign In
Remind me later
Sign In to ZingyHomes
Home Interior Design: 6 Types of Color Contrasts and IdeasBy Himani Arora
Decor Tips Tweet 0 Comment(s)
A Colourful place is a cheerful place. Colours play a significant role in our lives be it in our day to day outfits, our surroundings or the interior of our house for that matter. The contrast in colors is representative of the psyche of the inhabitants. Different hues are indicative of different moods. However, only a correct contrast is appealing to eyes.
This article suggests some interesting color contrasts and explains the effects and moods they create.
1. Bright with light: Bright colors generally give sunny appearance. These include yellow, orange, red. They represent joyful mood and fill the room with gaiety. These colours when contrasted with lighter shades like white give the room a serene and calm look. The atmosphere seems mild and comforting with this contrast.
2. Bright with dark: The moment we think of dark colors, the idea of a dull and drab atmosphere haunts our mind. But when we contrast dark colors with bright ones, the interior becomes soothing and manages to get praise. Dark colors generally comprise of black and brown which when have a share of yellow or orange mixed with them brings life to the room.
3. Bright with bright: Two negatives when put together result out in a positive. Thats exactly the case when we go for a bright contrasting with another bright hue. They turn out to be an extravagant and even brighter look. These contrasts are preferred to enlighten up a dull room where hardly any sunlight reaches. Not only do such combinations keep the room glowing but also show lesser need of lighting.
4. Dark with dark: One might feel surrounded by complete darkness when one enters an area done with two dark color combination. However, this contrast is an inviting one. For those who prefer a solemn atmosphere, this proves to be the best choice. This blend of dark hues makes an excessive spacious area look smaller and multiplies in its decor when dark walls are done with lighting.
5. Light and Dark: Contrary to this notion of bringing together two opposite colors and therefore making the combination look abrupt, this contrast is all the more interesting. Balanced with proportion of light and dark colours, it gives the room an air of freshness. Light colors like white, aqua, light blue, ligher shades of green, pink when contrasted with black, brown, maroon or violet prove to be an awesome choice for people who have a taste for both colors.
6. Multicolour contrast: All in one is what one must call it. This bright and beautiful contrast of multi colours is eye catchy and inviting too. The mix of different colors makes a small room look larger and spacious too. The room shares an effect of both warm and cold colors thereby mantaining moderate atmosphere. However, this contrast is most recommended for kid,s room for their playful mood.
Did you find the article interesting? Please do share your views in the comment section below.
Share your thoughts with the community.
Leave a comment here or submit your own article.
ZingBoards you may like
Design Ideas you may like
Popular in this Category
When you are planning the layout of your kitchen you want to be very careful in the selection and position ...
While living in a 5 bedroom 4 bathroom and gigantic kitchen palace (that size has got to be more than ...
Wooden Floors are a frequent daydream of most home enthusiasts! The rich colors, the warmth under your foot and the ...
Interiors- Doors and Windows
Windows add a mystic charm to a house, don’t you think? They are like extensions ...
Pooja Room Interiors
How to set a mandir in living room? Setting up a Pooja Ghar in Living Room is as easy as ask...
“Painting is a blind man's profession. He paints not what he sees, but what he feels, w...
Rapid Fire with Design Professionals
Prof. Ar. Rajini Itham Mahajan is a senior architect with M/s. VBT Consortium, one of the oldest ...
Just like any other element of home decor, lightings and fixtures can define your taste and perso...
- Anu's home reflects her contemporary taste
- A Home that evokes poetry
- What Ails BIM Implementation in India?
Copyright ZingyHomes - 2013 - . All rights reserved.
- Kitchen & Dining